Saturday, September 17, 2011

super easy fondant tutorial

so since there isn't much I won't attempt to make at least once - I decided for my sister's sweet 16 last year to make her a fondant cake -


hubby and I were up until like 1 in the morning I think....but we learned lots and now it's a breeze. so don't be intimidated - it's really fun! (keep reading for instructions)


2 weeks after that party i went at it again and made one for my parents 25th Anniversary party.  I thought I would make it nice and simple - turns out the less decorations you add, the harder because you can use the decorations to hide flaws! but here is their cake:


so it's actually quite simple - you can just google, "marshmallow fondant" and a ton of recipes come up.

the one i use is:

4 cups of marshmallows (lesson #1 - do NOT use generic marshmallows - trust me, it wont work...spend the extra $1 a bag for the good ones!)



add 2 tablespoons of water:



then microwave for a minute at first, then 30 seconds at a time until there are no more lumps of marshmallows




if you're going to add food coloring, do it now (lesson #2 - make it a little darker than you want it because the powdered sugar will lighten it up. lesson #3 - don't listen to any recipe that tells you to knead in the food coloring at the end....its awful and a lot of work and sweat!)




once you have desired color, add 4 cups of powdered sugar - generic is fine now.



then stir it in until it won't mix anymore - it'll look crumby, kind of like old play-doh



dump it out onto a VERY well non-stick sprayed counter and knead it all together until its all mixed in and even texture



if you make it ahead of time this is where you stop, wrap it up really well, and refrigerate.

lesson #4 - if you refrigerate - microwave for 10 seconds before rolling out or will you get a crazy workout and break a sweat big time!
when you're ready - add some more spray and roll it out evenly





this time I made cupcake toppers friend's baby's Christening.  I made them for Cole's back in July and she asked if I could make them for her too. So i cut circles and crosses with cookie cutters:



I did white and baby blue. then you just brush a little bit of water on the back of the cross and stick it to the circle



then you just push down the cupcake icing with them and you're done!




have a great weekend!

~Christina~

No comments:

Post a Comment